Luke 9:23-24 says, "And he said to all, 'If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it.'" (ESV)
Luke 17:33 "Whoever seeks to preserve his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life will keep it." (ESV)
John 12:25 "Whoever loves his life loses it, and whoever hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life."
And 1 Corinthians 15:31 says, "I protest, brothers, by my pride in you, which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die every day!" (ESV)
I could go on for much longer. The concept of dying to self has hit my heart. Denying myself, my selfish desires, dying to what the flesh wants, and living for Christ instead. It's a daily battle, a daily fight. To die daily.
I am in John 18-19 right now, studying Jesus' arrest and trials. So on Easter Sunday I watched The Passion of the Christ. I love getting a visual to what I have been reading and studying. Getting a clearer picture of exactly what Christ endured for us. If you have never seen the movie, you simply have to. Believer or not. Whether you believe Jesus was the Son of God or not, and was all He claimed to be- He was a real man, and He WAS tortured and crucified. But the beauty of it all, to those who know Him, is it was all voluntary. He was not a victim of circumstances. He knew all that was to happen to Him (John 18:4). And yet He still CHOSE to serve the Father and fulfill His purpose. When the soldiers came to the Mount of Olives to arrest Him, and over-zealous Peter draws his sword on a soldier cutting off his ear, Jesus stops him, saying "Put your sword back into its sheath. Shall I not drink from the cup the Father has given me?" (John 18:11) Even though He was in agonizing prayer (Matthew 26:36-42) over what was to happen to Him, how He was to be humiliated, mocked, beaten, tortured, and crucified, He never once wavers. "Unflinching obedience." Yes, I know He was fully God, but He was also fully human. And endured temptation.
"He went on a little farther and fell face down on the ground, praying, 'My Father! If it is possible, let this cup of suffering be taken away from me. Yet I want your will, not mine.'" (Matthew 26:39) Your will, not mine. THAT is my desire. THAT is what I pray for. That is what I had to ASK to desire, because it's not natural, and doesn't come easy. However, the more time I spend with Him, for Him, the more I read in His word, the more I worship, the deeper I fall in love with Him. "Fall in love with Him." I used to hear that a lot and think, fall in love with Him? I know that I love Him, so much. I know exactly what He did on that cross, but how do you fall IN LOVE with Him? I get it now. And that is why I am denying myself, taking up my cross daily, and following Him. That is why I am losing my life, in order to keep it. That is why I am choosing to die daily.
1 comment:
beautifully said, Jess...
Post a Comment