image

image

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Disheartening

Wow.  So I'm disheartened today.  I have been hearing a lot of things lately that seriously cause my heart to ache.  And, if I'm completely honest, frustrate me.  We are called to love and so I do.  Yet also I feel as though sometimes I love in the background and truth isn't spoken.  So I apologize for the bluntness here, but my mind is going crazy this morning with the things I've been hearing and I have to get it out.


  • Someone actually thanking God (yes, GOD) for the Supreme Court ruling for same-sex marriages in California.  I was so blown away when I read that.... the God who says in HIS word that homosexuality is detestable to Him.  THAT's who they are thanking?  This is not a blessing bestowed from the Lord.  So let's at least get that part straight.  Just as God hates ALL sin- every sin I commit as well, I'm not trying to discount myself here, but I certainly don't rejoice in my sin and proclaim thanks to the Lord for allowing me to further it.  Disheartening.  I read a quote that really says it well: “Our culture has accepted two huge lies. The first is that if you disagree with someone’s lifestyle, you must fear or hate them. The second is that to love someone means you agree with everything they believe or do. Both are nonsense. You don’t have to compromise convictions to be compassionate." Rick Warren

  • Someone saying anyone who claims to follow the bible and doesn't adopt orphans, having only children of their own, is simply filling a narcissistic hole in themselves.  Wow.  Ouch.  And seeing so many others agree was just as much of a surprise as the statement itself.  God most certainly calls us to care for the orphans and widows. (James 1:27)  How that looks in each believers life will be different, as it's between the believer and God.  Apparently to this person prayer and financial support is not enough.  Interesting though, I wonder what IS enough?  And what is enough for the widows as well?  Adopting them along with the orphans?  I certainly agree that there are many Christians who don't give orphans and widows a second thought.... but does that mean none do?  Disheartening.  I just don't see Jesus making this judgment on those that do have children. And after all, that's who we are being compared to is it not?

  • Hearing that a 3 year old lacks control of their impulsive urges so trying to teach them boundaries is useless at that age.  Huh??  What is our role as parents??  To take those difficult moments (also known as teachable moments) and work WITH them and FOR them.  We could go by this nonsensical principle our whole parenting lives.... "our 16 year old just can't control their physical urges" so let's treat the consequences not the cause (i.e. start her on birth control or if she really messes up, get an abortion).  I get so sad when parents chalk it up to "kids nowadays" so they slap a bandaid on a gunshot wound and call it a day.  Disheartening.  Instead let's teach our children their actions MATTER and have consequences.  Let's teach them TRUTH.  Let's exercise patience and consistency and love, but not with an attitude that they simply can't help themselves.  Let's teach them HOW to help themselves.  And in the process, we learn this very same thing ourselves.... since parenting almost works on our hearts more than theirs.

Thank you God that you are sovereign.  Help me to love others and love you more.

2 comments:

Jen said...

ANEN..... I've been so saddened by the events of this week.... What really was causing me to cringe was seeing fellow believers celebrate with the ruling as well.... Whhhhaaaaaat?!?!?! Rick Warren's quote is powerful! Side note... You are such an amazing mommy... I could learn a lot from you ;)

Vanessa said...

I completely agree with all of this! I love that you stand so firm in your convictions...and it is awesome how you're raising your girls to do the same...kudos to you, friend!!!! It is my daily prayer that my kiddos do the same throughout their life. You are truly an amazing daughter of Christ!! xo